Without sounding conceited, I always kind of thought I would make a good photographer. I love pictures. It's just amazing...the way they capture life...time...expressions. I would love more pictures of my grandma when she was young, my mom and dad when they were dating, me as a baby. I entered some photography contests in high school and actually did pretty well...but life happened and I feel like I never have enough money/time to puruse it.
The reason I have always wanted to be more diligent about photography is not just because I love photos...but because I imagine things in 'snapshots'. I am such a dreamer...always have been. I see life as a story, and I often catch myself taking mental pictures of different things.
For instance, at my paw paw's funeral my cousins and I each took some flowers from the arrangments at the graveside. While we were walking away I stopped and just looked at all my cousins walking together...dressed in black but holding bright bursts of colored flowers. What a picture I thought. Mourning and sunshine...together.
Last night I went to the Christmas program of my sweet friends daughter, Bella. She was up onstage...nervous and smiley...and I just wanted to capture that face forever. To remember her little shy smile and the big hat that kept falling over her eyes.
Last week a marine from a local small town was killed in Afghanistan. The town is covered in ribbons - ribbons on every tree and light post. They held a candlelight vigil for him and nearly everyone in town showed up. I wanted to pull over and capture their faces...their tears in the soft light.
A picture is worth a thousand words...isn't that what they say? Well whoever they are, they're right. Maybe one day I'll win Wheel of Fortune and buy a nice camera and travel the country...snapping pictures of old men in their rocking chairs and kids feeding ducks at the park. Until then I guess the snapshots in my mind will have to do...:)
Friday, December 10, 2010
Snapshots
at 9:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 sweet comments:
I love this. I absolutely love pictures too. And I agree that you would make a fantastic photographer! One day, sister...One day :)
Post a Comment