Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Coffee Table

The first thing I did when I moved into my place (after figuring out my decorating style) was to save up some money and purchase a couch and TV stand. To this date, these two things have been my only purchases over $100. I firmly believe in buying major pieces in good neutral tones so you can change the tone/feel of the room with inexpensive accessories. Buying a purple couch is not a great move. What if you decide you don’t want a purple room next year? You’re going to have to get a new couch...and that can be pricey.

After I had a couple of pieces I knew I needed a coffee table. Of course I was looking for something that wasn’t too expensive, but something that had that girly, cottage vibe. I saw this gem at Goodwill one Saturday when everything in the store was half off. This is how the conversation with the saleswoman went:

Me: “Excuse me ma’am. How much is this table?”
Sales Lady: “Um...I guess you can have it for $6”
Me (Immediately...and with way too much excitement): “I’ll take it!! Do you have someone that can put it in my truck!?”

Haha...$6! Can you believe that? I wish I had a before picture. This thing was ugly...kind of a seventies grainy wood tone with messed up legs. HOWEVER, at thrift stores and garage sales I simply look at the shape/style and condition of furniture. Everything else can be changed! If you like the shape and it’s sturdy buy it!

I sanded and painted it white with a couple of coats of semi-gloss and distressed the edges a little for that lived-in cottage charm. But there are so many options. Can you imagine how cute this table would be painted glossy black in a modern space? Or a bright teal or yellow for a pop of fun color in an otherwise neutral room? Love.


This table is a great size too! Because space is limited in my little place, I really put this guy to work. There have been multiple occasions where we have surrounded this table with pillows on the floor for snacks/Bible study/board games. It was worth every bit of that $6 price tag!


Go hit up those second hand stores. I’m serious. Drop your pride and really dig in. You are going to find some treasures! It’s completely worth a little extra effort and can take your rooms from bland and matchy matchy to a lovely mix of conversation pieces.


0 sweet comments: