Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

True Followers

For the past few days my heart has been....I don’t know the word...heavy?

I go to sleep and wake up with a desperation inside. I want to scream at the top of my lungs. I want starving children to have food to eat. I want people to know that they are loved and that their life has purpose. I want to stop being selfish and live sacrificially. I want to stop making excuses and procrastinating and ignoring the truth.

I see things and hear things and read things that make me want to cry and adopt 20 children and sell everything I own and give the money away. Scripture tells us that, as true disciples of Christ, we are to be people who are moved with compassion. We are not supposed to see people as strange or worthless. We are to see them as people that Christ values. He loves them and has a purpose for their life. How can we call ourselves disciples of Christ and allow people to DIE OF STARVATION while we spend ridiculous amounts of money on coffee and designer bags? It doesn’t make sense.

I think we get busy. I think we don’t make it a priority. I think that we are calloused and selfish and just unaware.

I wish I could say that I always lived my life in this mindset... that the abused and overlooked came to my mind more often than they do. I wish I spent my time and resources to make an impact on the lives of these people. I try. I make effort and give when I think about it or when it is convenient.

But, I want to LIVE MY LIFE sacrificially. I don’t want it to be a random occurrence. I want everything I do to be driven by this purpose. Am I living as a disciple of Christ? Am I looking at the people around me (and across the world) as He would have me see them? Or am I viewing them through my limited, tainted, human eyes?

Lord help us. Help us see people the way you see them. Help us become true followers of Christ. Help us make a change and not sit idly by while thousands of people perish without you.

“It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.” - Mother Theresa

1 sweet comments:

April @ Red-Dirt-Mama.com said...

I have been struggling with this for a while. Todd and I really had our eyes open to this when we didn't have money to even buy groceries -- that we were still SO rich in comparison. We wish we would have done more when we had more -- It makes me understand the story of the old woman with the 2 pennies so much more. (I know it's not really pennies, but I can't remember the exact name.)