I really do. Last week was Senior Adult camp and we had close to 100 senior adults here Monday through Thursday. The guys at work have often said that if you are over 65 and you can’t get along with me, there is something wrong with you. Haha! For some reason I just get along really well with the elderly. I’ve always been a bit of an “old soul” and my insatiable love for story makes sitting around talking to them easy and interesting.
Since I was a child I have daydreamed in stories. I wrote fictional tales in my head about people I saw at hotels or walmart or convenient stores. This is why I am fascinated with documentaries and biographies and reality shows (ie: Hoarders/Intervention/etc). I just LOVE real life stories. I love hearing about how these people fell in love and fought in wars and worked through pain. And do you know what I have realized?
There is nothing they want more than to tell you their story.
This statement brings tears to my eyes. It’s so very true. These sweet people want nothing more than to be HEARD and REMEMBERED. They are blunt sometimes, yes. They are grouchy and old-fashioned from time to time. But, you cannot go wrong by asking them about their life and listening with intention. They light up when they talk about their daughter, and how she is just as hard headed now as she was when she was born. They teared up talking to me about how their grandson died of cancer; how they never walked the same after fighting in World War II; how their wife gets prettier every day. They laughed as they told me that their first home cost $750.
I’m incredibly grateful for them and what they teach me about life and about myself. I hope one day, when I am old and wrinkled, there will be someone that will want to hear what I have to say. I hope people will not just disrespect me and see me as a useless member of society. I hope they will remember that I was once their age, and that I have wisdom to share. I have a friend who once told me about a time when he was visiting a lady in the nursing home. Before he left she told him, “please don’t let my church forget about me.” That really stuck with me. Don’t forget about them. They are here, and they have so much to give.
Take some time to sit down with your grandparents if you are blessed to have them here, or find an “adopted grandparent” (I have a couple of those:) and ask them some questions. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't take the time to write down my grandparent's stories before they passed away. I always wanted to and never took the time. Ask them what they learned from being married for 60 years. Ask them what countries they have been to. Ask them what they wish they knew when they were your age. And then listen. Genuinely listen. You won’t be sorry.
Since I was a child I have daydreamed in stories. I wrote fictional tales in my head about people I saw at hotels or walmart or convenient stores. This is why I am fascinated with documentaries and biographies and reality shows (ie: Hoarders/Intervention/etc). I just LOVE real life stories. I love hearing about how these people fell in love and fought in wars and worked through pain. And do you know what I have realized?
There is nothing they want more than to tell you their story.
This statement brings tears to my eyes. It’s so very true. These sweet people want nothing more than to be HEARD and REMEMBERED. They are blunt sometimes, yes. They are grouchy and old-fashioned from time to time. But, you cannot go wrong by asking them about their life and listening with intention. They light up when they talk about their daughter, and how she is just as hard headed now as she was when she was born. They teared up talking to me about how their grandson died of cancer; how they never walked the same after fighting in World War II; how their wife gets prettier every day. They laughed as they told me that their first home cost $750.
I’m incredibly grateful for them and what they teach me about life and about myself. I hope one day, when I am old and wrinkled, there will be someone that will want to hear what I have to say. I hope people will not just disrespect me and see me as a useless member of society. I hope they will remember that I was once their age, and that I have wisdom to share. I have a friend who once told me about a time when he was visiting a lady in the nursing home. Before he left she told him, “please don’t let my church forget about me.” That really stuck with me. Don’t forget about them. They are here, and they have so much to give.
Take some time to sit down with your grandparents if you are blessed to have them here, or find an “adopted grandparent” (I have a couple of those:) and ask them some questions. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't take the time to write down my grandparent's stories before they passed away. I always wanted to and never took the time. Ask them what they learned from being married for 60 years. Ask them what countries they have been to. Ask them what they wish they knew when they were your age. And then listen. Genuinely listen. You won’t be sorry.
0 sweet comments:
Post a Comment