Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Just Magical.

You know...I would like to say that I am a realistic 'adult' and that I know based on past experiences that real life is nothing like those silly books and movies. But somewhere deep inside of me I think there is still a little spark of that 10 year old Abby. I want so badly to believe that the elderly lady I meet at the store is actually British royalty, and no one knows about it. I want to believe that I will open my door and see the man  of my dreams standing in the rain holding flowers telling me that he has been waiting his whole life to find someone as amazing as me. I want to believe that on the other side of the ocean, there is a forest filled with creatures undiscovered by science.


And life, as dreary and realistic as it is, is filled with little bits of magic don't you think? God designed us to be dreamers; to be pilgrims in this land; people whose hearts long for something...MORE. 

I think there are little things in life that give us glimpses into the beautiful magic of our Creator. Haven't you ever had a moment like that? When you just stop and become aware of the fact that you are surrounded by beauty? 

I feel it when I hold a newborn baby for the first time. Especially now, after I have spent years beside my sister as she struggles with infertility. The fact that a child grew inside of you...a perfect mix of genes. It's amazing. How can you not look at that and be in awe? I feel it when I stand next to a group of girls holding flowers and see a bride walk down the aisle. Time freezes for just a moment and you see the miracle of it...that this lady and this man found each other...of everyone on Earth they found their perfect match and they are committing in front of others to love that person forever. It's magic. Get on a horse and let it run as fast as it can. Look up at the stars on a clear night. Stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Stand in the rain after a six month drought. Watch the flowers appear the next day. 

We are surrounded by little pieces of magic...and even on the worst of days...you can look around you and see this and have hope. Hope that there is something coming after this life that is so much more wonderful; beyond all that we can dream or imagine. And hope that life is still beautiful and maybe our dreams aren't out of reach. 

Maybe magic is real...and miracles are happening all around us.

What a lovely thought.

2 sweet comments:

Galilee said...

i think miracles are happening all around us. i love this post. it's so sweet and i do this dreaming stuff too :)

no, i did not cry while reading this. ok i did. its very late, and you know how i get late at night. plus, you're a beautiful writer! love you, sister.

Anonymous said...

you are a poet! I'm composing an email reply to you right.... now :)