Moving into your first place can be extremely overwhelming. I remember being very stressed after moving into my house. How was I going to afford anything? Why didn't I have any utensils? Why was I 30 minutes from Walmart? Haha. After I hyperventilated for a few days, I finally decided to get to work. I had never lived anywhere by myself - and I had no idea how I wanted to decorate. Did I like modern finishes? Why was I drawn to a particular pillow? What did I love? It was a lot to take in. But it was exciting!
I began using free time to search for rooms that I loved. I pulled pictures from different places (ie: magazines, home decor blogs) and put them into one large document. I like to call these 'inspiration boards'. I make them for decorating, as well as events I help put together (baby showers, weddings, etc) to help me stick with a theme and be inspired. I noticed that most of the things I loved involved bright white sunny rooms with florals and chippy distressed paint. I discovered this decorating style was called Shabby Chic. Ta-da! I had some direction!

Here is my first inspiration board. It's still on my fridge:)
As I began to purchase things and put rooms together, I realized that I didn't love shabby chic in the truest sense of the word. I was more of a modern/shabby chic/cottage combo. As I acquire funds and add to my purchases I know my rooms will take more of a modern/rustic spin with some shabby chic/cottage thrown in. I would venture to say that very few of us have just one decorating style. A large percentage of people are a combination - like traditional/eccelectic or vintage/rustic. Find a picture of a room that you absolutely adore...something that makes you want to smile and jump up and down. Decide what it is that you love so much about that space and make it happen in your own way! Don't be afraid to mess up...
To me, the whole point of decorating is to end up with a space that you love and can use. I decided right off the bat that I wasn't going to purchase anything I didn't LOVE. Once you start getting key pieces you will notice some type of theme. Just remember - everyone doesn't have to love your home - YOU DO! If your space 'rises up to greet you' as Nate Berkus says then you have done something right!

Hello Nate!
Here are a few design style quizzes you can take for some guidance. They are mostly just for fun....and not 100% accurate...but they can give you a good idea:
And rememember, don't get overwhelmed. You don't have to put a room together in a Saturday. Great spaces take time...and they look better in the end because they have been slowly filled with things you love - rather than a set from a furniture store.
Follow your bliss! :)
3 sweet comments:
Abby, your blog is so shabby chic and cute! I'm always in need of decorating ideas. Thanks for the tips!
love this :)
i will never. ever. figure out my decorating style :) haha. but i love yours! you're so crafty it is unfair! love you :)
Post a Comment