Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why I save.

I have started writing recently about some of the decorating tips and tricks I've learned since moving into my first little place. As I post about this topic, you will start to notice a theme...and the theme is: FREE/CHEAP. Haha (this is also the theme of my clothing/food/technology:). I don't have a whole lot of money left over after living expenses, so decorating has been a little bit of a challenge. I have been forced to be creative.

But, the main reason I save money in every way that I can is so that I can use the money I do have to bless others. I believe everything we have belongs to God, and therefore trusting and honoring Him through our finances is important...no, it's required. It's not always easy to tithe, or to give that money away, but I've learned again and again that God will provide when we obey Him. And the blessings are completely worth the sacrifice. I mess up often. I get selfish and allow the voices of others to drown out the voice of God. I'm learning to trust Him with everything - and that includes my finances.

One of the organizations I really love and support is World Vision. About three years ago I adopted a little girl through this program. When you 'adopt' a World Vision child you agree to support them financially until they are adults (18). It is only $30 a month, which is basically nothing to us here in America, but it provides healthcare, basic necessities, education and more for these little ones. I choose to support a little girl from Mexico named Balbina. Here is a photo of her a few years ago when I first 'met' her:

Precious right?!

I have loved this sponsorship program. I send her letters and small gifts on a pretty regular basis and World Vision sends me an annual update on her progress, as well as a new picture and some drawings she has done. Here is the most recent picture I received:

She has grown up so much! I feel extremely connected to her even though we have never met.

I think we often choose to overlook the fact that there are children all around us who are dying everyday because of a lack of proper healthcare, food and clean water. $30 is so little but it can and does SAVE THEIR LIFE. And life is precious. No matter where they are born the lives of these children should be loved and protected. I would encourage you to go to the world vision website (www.worldvision.org) and choose a child to support if you have not. It's life changing. I also think it's an awesome thing to do with your children - to teach them how blessed they are - and to let them know that there are children just like them that they can bless using what they have. There are literally hundreds of ways to get involved and speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. There are some awesome organizations out there. Some of my favorites are listed on the sidebar of my blog.

Also, look for more posts in the near future under the 'Love More' category where I will highlight organizations/ideas designed to support the defenseless, the wounded, the unprotected...so you can be aware and be involved!

"It is a tragedy to decide that a child must die so you may live as you wish." - Mother Theresa

2 sweet comments:

Galilee said...

love it, Ab! you know I do :)
But...you said that you have only had Balbina (sp?) for three months...was that a type-o? I feel like you've had her much longer!
But I'm so glad you are helping her. Thank you for sharing your sweet story...you really are a great example for so many of us. Love you.

Jodie Olvera Crowder said...

Your blog is delightful. I can hear your voice as I read your stories. I love you!